President Thomas Jefferson appointed Captain Meriwether Lewis and 2LT William Clark to find a northwest passage to the Pacific Ocean. And in May 1804, The Corps of Discovery Expedition set out to complete the mission they were given. In October 1805, the explorers camped overnight on an island close to the confluence of the Snake and Clearwater rivers. This is near where Lewiston, Idaho, and Clarkston, Washington, can be found today.
Some local Lewis and Clark sites include:
Confluence Center: located along the levee in Lewiston, Idaho, near the confluence of the Clearwater and Snake rivers.
This is a historical marker for the October 10, 1805, campsite of the expedition. Nearby are several open-air interpretive displays, including a dugout canoe. Located at the site, Nez Perce lore is conveyed in Nancy Dreher’s Tsceminicum sculpture. Parking is available at the west end of D Street and there is a pedestrian bridge above the Levee Bypass for safe passage to the center.
Lewis and Clark Timeline: Located at Hells Canyon Resort Marina in Clarkston, Washington.
View beautiful sidewalk etchings depicting the adventures of the expedition. And find yourself transported back in time as you look over their journey west.