Spend a romantic getaway with us!
Situate yourselves in a riverview room on the southern bank of the Snake River for some time to spoil and be spoiled. Begin your stay by checking in to private room with a king size bed and a Jacuzzi Spa bath. Once you’re settled, there’ll be a platter of fruits, cheeses and crackers and a split of Champagne. After that, you can order room service or walk down to Bogey’s for some fine dining or the Q Lounge for a fireside cocktail. The next morning, enjoy a delicious made to order breakfast in bed. Romantic Getaway Package for two at $150 + tax is available February 1-29, 2013 from Quality Inn & Suites in Clarkston, Washington.
Within walking distance: Wine tasting at Basalt Cellars, Miniature Golf on an 18-hole grass course, Beer tasting at Riverport Brewing Company, Granite Lake Park Greenbelt Walking Path.
Taste the suite side of life! When you check in to your King Junior Suite, you’ll find a lovely bottle of house wine and two wine glasses waiting for the start of your special stay. For later on, there’s a $50 gift certificate for use at Meriwether’s American Grille, The Exchange Lounge or MJ Barleyhopper’s – or perhaps room service is more in order. The Celebration Package for two at $179 + tax is available from Red Lion Hotel in Lewiston, Idaho.
The Clearwater Wine Dinner from Meriwether’s pairs five courses with five exceptional wines and might be just the add-on you’re looking for.
Within walking distance: Locomotive Park, Jackson Baldwin Falls, Lewiston Levee Parkway Trail, Lewis Clark & Sacagawea bronze statues by J. Shirly Bothum.
How about a romantic stay & play getaway alongside the Clearwater River? Open the door to your suite and your special someone will find a flower and bud vase with balloons on entering. After you get settled, there are two vouchers for dinner and a Casino March Play for each of you! The Romance Package for two at $ 169 + tax is available Clearwater River Casino in Lewiston, Idaho.
If you come, don’t forget the camera – we’d love to see a picture or two of the favorite parts of your getaway! You can share it with us on the Hells Canyon Visitor Bureau Facebook Page or give a shout on Twitter to @HellsCanyon.
The 2012 Chinook Salmon Season is about to open with an estimated 83,600 adult hatchery origin fish expected to cross Lower Granite Dam into the waters surrounding the LC Valley at the north entrance to Hells Canyon. It’s FISH ON!
These massive, ocean going fish are often so big that fishermen call them “hogs” and anglers from across the nation head our way each year for their chance at hooking into one of these legendary game fish.
Washington fisheries on the Snake River open April 25 and Idaho fisheries on the Clearwater and Snake Rivers open April 22.
Get a great deal on your Chinook salmon fishing adventure by checking out the Fisherman’s Specials for a hotel and book your charter from one of these licensed guides and outfitters in good standing with Hells Canyon Visitor Bureau.
Things to know if you go:
- Adult Chinook measure 24 inches or more
- Jack Chinook measure under 24 inches and must be at least 12 inches to qualify for harvest.
Know Your Limits
- Washington; All Chinook with an adipose fin must be released.Washington allows for a daily limit of 6 hatchery chinook, with a cap of 2 adults. Anglers must cease fishing when the adult limit has been retained for the day.
- Idaho; All Chinook with an adipose fin must be released.On the Clearwater River drainage allows for a daily limit of 4 hatchery Chinook, with a cap of 2 adults. Possession limit is 12, with a cap of 6 adults.On the Snake River from Dug Bar to Hells Canyon Dam, the lower Salmon and the Little Salmon rivers, the daily limit is four hatchery Chinook, only 2 may be adults. The possession limit is 12, with a cap of 6 adults.
Photographing Wild Chinook Salmon
- In Washington, wild salmon must be unhooked and released without being removed from the water. Have your camera ready for a quick image capture and keep the fish low to the water.
- Idaho allows anglers a bit more leeway and lets fishermen remove wild fish from the water for photographing. Remember to wet your hands before touching the fish. Use both hands to support the fish, over the water if possible, so that if the fish struggles free it doesn’t fall onto a hard surface such as rocks or a boat floor.
If you come, don’t forget the camera – we’d love to see what your fishing adventure was like and you can share it with us on the Hells Canyon Visitor Bureau Facebook Page.
~image property of HellsCanyonSportFishing.com
Some people will tell you that the best time to visit a new place is on a weekend.
Some people are wrong.
Each week (not weekend, mind you), restaurants in the Lewis-Clark Valley host a number of tailored events that cater to fun-loving, adventurous wine lovers, their search for a taste of the region and something new in a stemmed glass.
Mid-week starts with Wine Down Wednesday at Tomato Bros.
where you can get 40% off the purchase of any bottle of wine all day. Any wine … and there are some great labels on their wine list. Pair your bottle with a 1/2 price appetizer during Happy Hour from 4 to 6pm and you’re set for nice how-do-you-do.
Wednesday also means Women Who Wine, from 5 to 7pm, at Quality Inn & Suites
. Not just for women – men are also welcome to enjoy complimentary tastes of featured wines along with 40% off all bottle purchases and glass pours of the featured wines. Add a half price appetizer and it’s a complete night out with a river view.
Wine O’clock Thursdays, from 6-8pm, The Exchange in Red Lion Hotel
brings something a little different to the table. With the purchase of your choice of 3 different flights, ranging from $5 to $15, you’ll receive 10% off the purchase of any bottle of wine. Each flight brings 5 tastes of wine and for those of you choosing to make a night of it, pair your flight and bottle purchase with dinner and receive 20% off the entire bill.
The Basalt Cellars
Tasting Room, in Clarkston, Washington, is open Monday through Saturday from 12-5:30pm. Be sure to taste the triple-award winning 2007 Merlot, when you go.
Regular tasting hours for Clearwater Canyon Cellars
are on Saturdays from 1 to 5pm, May thru Christmas. The Renaissance Red and Lochsa are local favorites and, if you’re lucky, there’ll still be some Carmenere.
image courtesy ~TankPhotography