Whether you’re a road bicyclist, mountain biker or casual rider, the Lewis Clark Valley and surrounding region has a trail for you. Many road cyclists bike through our area and along Highway 12, a scenic highway that closely follows the Clearwater River.
Originally constructed in 1917, the Old Lewiston Grade (Spiral Highway) has generated many stories attributed to its many curves and switchbacks. Replaced by the current highway more than 30 years ago, the 8-mile Spiral Highway has become famous for the challenge it presents to participants of the “I Made the Grade” annual bicycle race. The race climbs from the river’s edge to the top of the valley, and attracts riders from throughout the region.
Casual bicyclists have free access to more than 25 miles of paved pathways on the Clearwater and Snake River Recreation Trail. The Lewis-Clark Valley’s mild climate allows for use of the bike paths year round. You can access downtown Lewiston via the Clearwater and Snake River Recreation Trail at the 5th Street pedestrian overpass. You’ll find unique bike racks that double as art throughout the downtown corridor.
Mountain biking enthusiasts can enjoy miles of dirt trails in Hells Gate State Park and the attached recreational area. With views of the Snake River and nearby Craig Mountains, it’s a scenic and peaceful place to escape people and traffic.Mountain Biking
Travel Guide & Map
Looking to plan your next bike route? Our travel guide and map can help you plan your next perfect biking adventure.View Online High Res PDF (1mb) Low Res PDF (710kb)
- Local Flavor
- WineriesMicro BreweriesLocal ProductsFarmers MarketsDining
- Hells Canyon ToursGolfingBicyclingFishing & HuntingWater Sports & Water ParksLevee SystemHiking TrailsParksHorseback RidingRaftingMountain Bicycling
- History & Culture
- Confluence ProjectNez Perce TribeLewis & ClarkMusicMuseums & Historic SitesWildlife CentersVisual & Performing Arts
- HotelsVacation Rentals, Cabins, and B&B'sRVs & Camping
- Downtown LewistonDowntown ClarkstonAntiques
- Family Fun
- ParksKid Friendly HikesWater Sports & Water ParksWildlife Centers
- Nearby Attractions
- Outdoor Adventure in Hells CanyonCasinoNez Perce TribeKid Friendly AttractionsLewis & Clark TrailWineries
- Meeting Planner
- CaterersEvent CentersLodging